Senior Geospatial Operations Manager: Ray Bivens – Ray has worked with GeoVelo in one capacity or another since 2011. As our Senior Geospatial Operations Manger, Ray ensures that our geospatial platforms are cross-functional, always operational, and that that the large amount of geospatial data we manage is organized and secure.
Since he discovered GIS in college, Ray has founded two successful geospatial consulting businesses. Ray also holds a U.S. patent on a system designed to fuse video and geospatial data. It was developed for national defense purposes. Ray holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Kansas State University in Geography. He has over 20 years of experience as an accomplished Senior Software Engineer; with technical expertise in geospatial technologies, full-motion video, Android development, and Java programming. Ray has over 15 years of experience working in the Defense and Intelligence industries, providing technical consulting f or companies and organizations such as ESRI, TASC, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Exelis, the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), NORAD, the U.S. Border Patrol, NASA and the U.S. Air Force.
Ray is actively involved in geospatial R&D and has a working knowledge of OGC standards and open source software.
Ray is a US Army veteran.
Contact Ray at info@GeoVelo.org
An accomplished Technical Lead, Systems Engineer and Software Engineer with 20 years of experience in geospatial technologies. Experience includes software engineering, technical marketing, program management, R&D and market research in the geospatial domain.
Harris Job History
- 03/2016– Present: Current Position – Custom Solutions Group
- Software engineer on ISS program for Indonesia delivery. Provided general Android development for custom Android operating system to support Integrated Soldier System.
- 06/14 – 03/16: Engineering Team
- Geospatial PDF. Designed and wrote a geospatial PDF API for ENVI and IDL. The API is a component designed to generate geospatial PDF documents from OGC services.
- Op3D Project. Designed and implemented high-resolution 3D terrain model for Pursuer program. Extended Java World Wind to support custom elevation datasets streamed via JPIP protocol.
- 04/2011 – 06/14: Professional Services Group
- Technical Lead. DMAP Program. NGA. Provide technical leadership support for design, development, testing and integration of components deployed into the DMAP program’s Enterprise Architecture. This includes analysis of user requirements, development of use cases, and design of appropriate architecture and integration points for these components. Participate in the evolution of the entire system architecture to a cloud-based, open-standards, service-oriented platform. Components include both clients and services that use a combination of COTS, GOTS and Open Source technologies. Act as a Subject Matter Expert in geospatial sciences, Java and Java-based tools. Perform technical liaison duties between development partners and customer. Keep abreast of latest technologies and how to effectively apply them. Plan and execute R&D activities in support of customer initiatives.
- Research and Development. Designed and created the Android Mapping Framework, a mobile geospatial library that renders data from OGC services and JPIP streams. The Android Mapping Framework provides a fully customizable, multi-layer map view with symbologies, geospatial referencing and geometries.
Job History Prior to Harris
- 2000 – 2011: Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Senior Software Engineer. Provide software design and development services to customers and staff. Provide technical consulting on an as-needed basis to support Java development, geospatial application development, graphics model development, OOAD, etc. Produce white papers, software design documents, architectural diagrams and other technical documents. Evaluate emerging technologies and identify trends. Create custom graphical components. Mentor junior members of technical staff.
- 1999-2001: Bivens Geomatics
- Owner of Bivens Geomatics, a GIS consulting and applications development company. Bivens Geomatics designed and developed custom applications for a multitude of vertical markets. Managed all aspects of running a business, including hiring and managing personnel, subcontracting technical talent, supervising all projects and performing as a GIS technologist. DALIS View project for Delaware County, Ohio received ESRI’s Special Achievement in GIS Award in 2000 (over 60,000 systems considered for this award).
- 1997-1999: ESRI
- Applications Prototype Specialist. Designed and developed geospatial prototype applications. Conceived and built prototypes and proof-of-concept applications using a wide variety of development tools in an R&D environment.
- Custom Services. Designed and developed custom software solutions in a wide array of vertical markets using ESRI tools and software.
- 1995-1997: Kansas State University
- GIS Manager. GIS Manager for the Institute for Land Management and Training. Supervised five GIS technicians, purchased all equipment and supplies, prepared project estimates and designed/created GIS applications for Department of Defense contracts. Performed data conversion and attribute encoding using ESRI products. Designed and implemented protocols and procedures for technicians. Managed all aspects of GIS-related work.
B.S. Geography, 1995, Kansas State University
- United States Patent. Locative Video for Situation Awareness, 03/15/16. Werling, Michael Thomas; Feldman, Kenneth David; Bivens, Raymond E. Patent Number US 9,286,720 B2.
- Certificate of Achievement, 2007, iMM Program
- Certificate of Recognition, 2007, Multi-level Security IRAD
- Commendation Award, 2006, MIST IRAD
- Achievement Award, 2005, Ptolemy IRAD
- Commendation Award, 2005, iMM Program
- Certificate of Achievement, 2005, TerraFX IRAD
- Commendation Award, 2004, iMM Program
- Special Achievement Award, 2001, TASC
- Firm understanding of requirements definition, OOAD/OOP principles, component design, refactoring, debugging, unit testing and component testing.
- US. Army veteran, Military Police Corps. Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) qualified.
- Rundquist, Bradley and Bivens, Raymond E. From Above… Kansas Wildlife and Parks. March/April 1997 pp. 24-27.
- Bivens, Ray. GPS-GIS Integration Using ArcView. Papers and Proceedings of the Applied Geography Conferences, Volume 19. Kansas City, Missouri: Applied Geography Conferences, Inc., 1996.
- Goodin, Douglas G., Mitchell, James E., Knapp, Mary C., Bivens, Raymond E. Climate and Weather Atlas of Kansas. Lawrence, Kansas: Kansas Geological Survey, 1995.